Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"For the want of..."

In one of my school books I came across one of Benjamin Franklin's sayings from Poor Richard's. It goes:

"For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost-
And all for want of a horse-shoe nail."

It really got me to thinking. When we don't have something, that is in our minds small, it can affect way more than we think! I know that faith is not small, but sometimes I think we say that "Oh, I'm a Christian! I attend services, I go to funerals, I sometimes even take food to the sick...therefore I have faith!" You can say that without being faithful. Just because you're religious, doesn't mean you're righteous! The lack of faith can affect so much!

I made my own poem. I know I'm not as good as he is, but maybe I can portray a little bit of what I'm trying to say.

"For the want of faith the teacher was lost,
For the want of a teacher the gospel was lost,
For the want of the gospel the soul was lost,
For the want of a soul the church was lost,
For the want of a church the world was lost-
And all for want of faith."

Today I just want to encourage us to remember that small things have a big impact! You don't necessarily have to go out onto a foreign mission field to be a teacher, I'm pretty sure everyone lives in a town that has non-Christians in it! There are simple things, like, you could even say,

"For the want of propriety/modesty the influence was lost,
For the want of influence the soul was lost..."

It is my prayer and my exhortation that we may be strong, be faithful, and remember that we can do ALL things through Christ, even the seemingly small ones!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might."
-Ephesians 6:10

" I can do all things in him that strengtheneth me."
-Philippians 4:13

"And he saith unto them, Because of your little faith: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."
-Matthew 17:20

Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)



5 comments:

  1. Wonderfully put, Sweets! I love you and your tender heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts! great twist into your own poem naomi!
    LOL, thanks for your comment! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful encouragement, Naomi! Thank you for sharing such uplifting words!

    Love you.
    Mrs. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the encouragement! :) I know I'm not the best with putting words together...but some things get on my mind... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your comment on my blog, naomi. it made me laugh. :P thanks for the tips...believe me, we tease both of them ALOT! it is all fun though. :)

    ReplyDelete